yellow dal fry:
yellow Dal Fry is one of the most popular dishes from India, especially from north India. For this, we use Toor/ Arhar dal
In this, Arhar dal tempered with onions, garlic, ginger, chill and cumin seeds sautéed in lots of ghee.
The consistency of dal fry is dal fry is medium-thick, that’s why you may serve dal fry with roti and rice as per your choice and taste.
more recipes from this blog you might like please do check:
Level of cooking: Medium
- 1 cup pigeon pea lentils /arhar dal/Toor dal
- 2 tablespoon oil or ghee or unsalted butter
- 1 no whole dry Kashmiri red chilli
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds jeera
- ¼ teaspoon asafoetida
- 1 teaspoon green chilli chopped or as required
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger adrak
- 1/2 cup onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic finely chopped or grated
- 1/2 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder, optional
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt or to taste
- Pressure cook a cup of the arhar dal with all the dry green chilli, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt, and coriander powder in 2 cups water. mix well and pressure cook 2 for whistles over medium flame.
- In deep pan heat ghee or unsalted butter.
- add the cumin seeds, asafoetida and dry Kashmiri red chilli, and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add onions and fry till they become transparent or light brown.
- Now add ginger and garlic and fry for some seconds till their raw aroma disappears.
- Add the tomatoes and salt and cook till they soften, for about 3-4 minute over medium heat.
- Finally, add the cooked dal with a ¼ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5-8 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- garnish the dal fry with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with roti and rice.
- While serving top the dal fry with ghee or butter.
- Dal fry is not thin and is usually has a medium to thick consistency.
- You can adjust the amount of water you want.
If you liked this, please share. Thanks!