yellow dal fry:
yellow Dal Fry is one of the most popular dishes from India, especially from north India. For this, we use Toor/ Arhar dal, which is also known as Pigeon pea lentils.
In this, Arhar dal tempered with onions, garlic, ginger, chill and cumin seeds sautéed in lots of ghee.
The consistency of dal fry is dal fry is medium-thick, that’s why you may serve dal fry with roti and rice as per your choice and taste.
more recipes from this blog you might like please do check:
- 1 cup arhar dal/Toor dal/pigeon pea lentils
- 2 tablespoon oil or ghee or unsalted butter
- 1 whole dry Kashmiri red chilli
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- ¼ teaspoon asafoetida
- 1-2 green chilli, chopped or as required
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger (adrak)
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic finely chopped or grated
- ½ cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder, optional
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- Salt to taste
- In deep pan heat ghee or unsalted butter.
- add the cumin seeds, asafoetida and dry Kashmiri red chilli, and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add onions and fry till they become transparent or light brown.
- Now add ginger and garlic and fry for some seconds till their raw aroma disappears.
- Add the tomatoes and salt and cook till they soften, for about 3-4 minute over medium heat.
- Finally, add the cooked dal with a ¼ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5-8 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- garnish the dal fry with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with roti and rice.
- While serving top the dal fry with ghee or butter.
- Dal fry is not thin and is usually has a medium to thick consistency.
- You can adjust the amount of water you want.
If you liked this, please share. Thanks!