Yellow dal fry:
Yellow dal fry is a one of the most popular, simple, easy, healthy Indian dish. This recipe uses Toor/ Arhar dal, which is also known as Pigeon pea lentils.
The consistency of dal fry is dal fry is medium-thick. You may serve dal fry with roti and rice as per your choice and taste.
more recipes from this blog you might like please do check:
methi matar malai
How to make Yellow Dal Fry:
Yellow Dal Fry Recipe:
Prep time:15 min cook Time: 15 min Serves: 3
Main Ingredients: Arhar dal/Pigeon pea lentils
Cuisine: North Indian, Punjabi
Recipe Type: dal.
Level of cooking: Medium
- 1.5 cup arhar dal/pigeon pea lentils
- 3 cups of water
- 1 medium size onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium size tomato, chopped
- 1-2 chillies, chopped to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- pinch of asafoetida
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder(optional)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 2-3 tablespoon oil or ghee or unsalted butter
- Salt to taste
- First wash the dal thoroughly 3-4 times in water and then cook the yellow dal with all the spice turmeric powder, red chilli powder, and coriander powder in 3 cups water in a pressure cooker.(Cook until 1 to 2 whistles)
- In another pan heat the ghee or unsalted butter over medium flame, once the oil is hot we will add the cumin seeds and fry until they splutter.
- Now add asafoetida powder and garlic into the oil, and fry over medium heat for about a minute.
- Add Green chillies and onions into it, fry over medium flame, until they become transparent or light brown.
- Add tomatoes and cook till they soften, for about 2-3 minute.
- Now add cooked yellow dal to the masala mixture with little water if required, and mix well.
- Cook the yellow dal fry on medium flame for about 5 minutes.
- Garnish the yellow dal fry with chopped coriander leaves and fried dry red chillies.
- Serve hot with roti or rice as per your taste.
- Dal fry has a medium to a thick consistency, You can adjust the amount of water you want.
- you can also serve it with butter or ghee as per your taste.
If you liked this, please share. Thanks!
(Visited 66 times, 1 visits today)