Tomato rice is one pot rice dish. In which plain steamed rice cooked with of tomato, onion, and Indian spices. Tomato rice is not only tasty and flavorful but it is also very easy to make. It is great for packed lunch also. Tomato Rice is also known as Tomato Bhath in Southern states of India.
More rice recipes from this blog you might like please do check you might like:
Tomato Rice|Tomato Rice Recipe
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- A pinch Asafetida (hing)
- 1 teaspoon Bengal gram spilt (Split channa dal)
- ½ teaspoon Black gram split (Split urad dal)
- 1whole red chilli
- 1 finely chopped Green chillies (optional)
- 1 Onion chopped (medium size)
- 1 spring Curry leaves
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala (optional)
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro / hara dhania
- In a large heavy bottom pan heat the oil.
- Add the red chilli mustard seeds, when they start to splutter.
- Add the channa dal cooks this channa dal till it gets slightly brown in colour.
- Add urad dal and some broken cashew nuts.
- Make sure that you get light brown colour in cashew nuts also.
- Add Chopped green chilli, chopped onion, curry leaves and salt.
- Sauté for 2-3 minutes until onions are slightly transparent.
- Add Asafetida and chopped tomatoes and red chilli powder stir and then cook over medium heat cook till these tomatoes are mushy and soft.
- Add garam masala powder Stir to combine.
- Add the cooked rice.
- Add more salt if needed.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
If you liked this, please share. Thanks!